Loading...

Itamaraty Palace

Itamaraty Palace

Headquarters of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs from 1899 until its move to Brasilia, in 1970, the Itamaraty Palace, located in the city center of Rio de Janeiro, was built between 1851 and 1854 to be the residence of Francisco José da Rocha Filho, the Count of Itamaraty, and acquired by the Brazilian government in 1889 to be the first seat of the National Executive Power, shortly after the Proclamation of the Republic, a position it held until 1897. With a project of contradictory authorship, the conclusion of the work was in charge of the architect José Maria Jacinto Rebellion. The building features neoclassical architectural features of Italian inspiration, with a set of murals and a rich collection of movable goods, housing the headquarters of the Ministry's Historical and Diplomatic Museum.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Historical and Diplomatic Museum, Map Library, Library and Historical Archive

O complexo, localizado na Avenida Marechal Floriano é composto de quatro grandes blocos – o palácio, a biblioteca, o Edifício Novo e o Edifício das Cavalariças – organizados em torno de um pátio e um jardim interno. Além de seu valor histórico e arquitetônico, o local abriga vasto acervo museológico, incluindo itens artísticos, bibliográficos e documentais.

Um dos primeiros bens culturais tombados no país, em 1938, atualmente é sede do Museu Histórico e Diplomático do Itamaraty e do Centro de História e Documentação Diplomática da Fundação Alexandre de Gusmão (Funag), além de Escritório de Representação do MRE no Rio de Janeiro (ERERIO).

Created in 1955, the Itamaraty Historical and Diplomatic Museum highlights the importance and contribution of diplomacy to the formation of Brazilian nationality. The collection consists of more than 5,500 items, including armory, ceramics and porcelain, drawings, sculptures, photographs, documentation, among other categories. Among the highlights is the collection belonging to the Baron of Rio Branco, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Brazil from 1902 to 1912, which comprises personal objects and works of art, the library and the personal archive of the patron of Brazilian diplomacy.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The Mapoteca do Itamaraty houses one of the most important collections in Latin America. Comprising more than 30,000 items, it includes topographic maps, nautical and hydrographic charts, plans and plans, covering the history of Western cartography since the 16th century. Among the highlights of the collection are the Orbis Typus Universalis Tabula, a world map created in 1512 in Venice by the navigator Jerônimo Marini, considered the first map on which the name “Brazil” appears to designate the territory of the then Portuguese colony in America.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The collection of the Itamaraty Historical Library is estimated at more than 70,000 items, housing a vast collection of rare works. Finally, the Historical Archive has its origin in documents from the Portuguese Crown Secretariat for Foreign Affairs, when it was transferred to Brazil in 1808, with about 2 thousand linear meters - it is mainly composed of handwritten and printed documents in paper form, dated 1575 to 1959.

Project

Este projeto cultural tem o objetivo de fornecer todo o conhecimento necessário para a requalificação integral do complexo de edifícios e acervos do Palácio do Itamaraty, por meio do desenvolvimento de diagnósticos e projetos de restauração e modernização de instalações; da elaboração do projeto museológico e do programa de educação patrimonial; e, por fim, da criação de um plano diretor de conservação e gestão do local.

Selected through the Open Call 1/2018 carried out by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Instituto Pedra Institute signed a cooperation agreement with the MRE aiming at the elaboration of projects for the preservation, conservation and dissemination of the historical, artistic and documentary heritage of the Itamaraty Palace in Rio de Janeiro and the holdings of the Historical and Diplomatic Museum, the Library, the Mapoteca and the Historical Archive of the Ministry, through fundraising through a tax incentive program. The project is sponsored by Itaipu Binacional and supported by BNDES.

Contracts and agreements

Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Cooperation Agreement

Other projects.

en_GB